Wednesday, November 7, 2018

IWSG ~ Creative Noggin

I'm here to add my thoughts on this month's Insecure Writer Support Group's pre-drafted question:

How has your creativity in life evolved since you began writing?


My first attempt at writing, nine years ago, was all about finding a safe (and yes, secret) arena to explore many emotions I'd kept hidden - more like, ignored - since my childhood. And fiction was a great place to do that. 

I've written my thoughts down in journals on and off again most of my life. For the most part, my journal entries are scattered and raw, bits and pieces of myself blotted on the page. Turning to fiction gave me a highway to organize all the feels, plant them in the fertile ground of a make believe character, and explore how these emotions could apply to said character - but really, also how they could apply to me. I can push to boundaries of any emotion through my creative license in hopes to inspire, encourage, and challenge the world.

So I guess you could say the creativity in my writing has evolved from a surface exploration of emotions/themes that affect most people to a much deeper and honest dissection of what makes people who they are and what motivates them to take action. I feel freer to take risks with characters and worlds. It's kind of cool realizing this. :) 

What says you? How has your creativity evolved?




PARTICIPANTS

Want to take part in the IWSG? Check it out here to join in and see other participants. 

12 comments:

  1. I take risks with my characters I would never attempt but I'm afraid I can't say it's deep...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if your creativity is deep-seated. And you've made a wonderful career writing your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this: Turning to fiction gave me a highway to organize all the feels, plant them in the fertile ground of a make believe character, and explore how these emotions could apply to said character - but really, also how they could apply to me.

    I think writing can be very therapeutic, especially when it involves time to evaluate those feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've given many of my characters my emotions and thoughts, too. It's helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved how you described your writing evolving!
    I think when I was younger writing was definitely a way to escape. It doesn't always feel that way now but that may be because I've been editing for too long! Not as fun as that first draft feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have put many parts of myself in my characters. I think writing has helped all of us express our emotions and thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You said that so wonderfully and beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so thankful you're letting your creativity show. You write lovely, touching stories. Keep your creativity flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great that you are digging deeper into your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How great that you're willing to dig deeper and take risks in your writing. When we don't, we stagnate. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

!SPLAT Your Awesomeness! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MY STATS