Wednesday, September 2, 2015
Tuesday, September 1, 2015
Writers: ever make a list of all the changes made to your manuscript before it hit the shelves? Or after your umpteenth draft? Readers: ever wonder what your favorite character was like on initial creation? It can be intriguing to mull over such a list, especially for the writer. And Carol's decided to share a few changes this manuscript went through before it was finalized.
1. BOYFRIEND NO MORE. The main character, Morgan Dey, used to have a boyfriend named Aaron in the beginning of the novel—until 8 months before the book was published. He got slashed by Carol’s Entangled Teen editor. In the original version, Morgan broke up with him by walloping him in virtual paintball.
2. BEST FRIEND TWEAK. Morgan’s best friend, Blair McClure, was called Bunny in the first drafts. Blair sounds more serious and fits her better, now that she’s Morgan’s science-minded friend.
3. TITLE CHANGE. The previous title of THE BODY INSTITUTE used to be SHAPERS. This was changed by Strange Chemistry when the book was under contract with them, before they went out of business and Entangled Teen picked up the book. ET liked the new title and kept it.
4. EVEN EARLIER TITLES. Back in 1990 when the novel was just an idea, the working title was FARRADAY’S FAT FARM. In 2010 when Carol started the actual writing, this morphed into EMRT. (Electromagnetic Resonance Transfer—the process of downloading one person’s brainmap into another person’s body.) An editor at an SCBWI conference wisely suggested that Carol change this to SHAPERS. (Now the body-swapping process is more simply called ERT, which is more reader-friendly.)
5. INSTITUTE WORKERS. When the book was called SHAPERS, the weight loss was performed by workers called Shapers, instead of being called Reducers as they are now.
6. AVATARS NO MORE. In early versions, Morgan had a holographic princess warrior avatar that popped up on her phone; she used this instead of the texts and voice-to-text that appear in the final version of the book. Bunny communicated using a (duh) bunny avatar, and Krista used a slinky clown. Morgan’s ex-boyfriend Aaron was a troll.
|Hosted by YA Bound Books Tours|
Want more Carol? Connect with her here! Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
Monday, August 24, 2015
|GOODREADS | AMAZON|
Elijah Brighton is the face of the Human Resistance Movement. He’s the Olympic-level painter who refused an offer of immortality from the ascenders—the human/machine hybrids who run the world—in solidarity with the legacy humans who will never get a chance to live forever.
Too bad it’s all a complicated web of lies.
Worse, Eli’s not even entirely human. Few know about the ascenders’ genetic experiments that left him… different. Fewer know about the unearthly fugue state that creates his transcendent art—as well as a bridge that lets him speak to the dead. But the Resistance is the one place he can hide from the ascender who knows everything the fugue can do. Because if Marcus finds him, he’ll either use Eli for his own nefarious purposes… or destroy him once and for all.
The Duality Bridge is the second book in the Singularity series and the sequel to The Legacy Human. This thrilling new young adult science fiction series explores the intersection of mind, body, and soul in a post-Singularity world.
NIGHTSTAND WORTHY +2
What would you give to live forever?
Seventeen-year-old Elijah Brighton wants to become an ascender—a post-Singularity human/machine hybrid—after all, they’re smarter, more enlightened, more compassionate, and above all, achingly beautiful. But Eli is a legacy human, preserved and cherished for his unaltered genetic code, just like the rainforest he paints. When a fugue state possesses him and creates great art, Eli miraculously lands a sponsor for the creative Olympics. If he could just master the fugue, he could take the gold and win the right to ascend, bringing everything he’s yearned for within reach… including his beautiful ascender patron. But once Eli arrives at the Games, he finds the ascenders are playing games of their own. Everything he knows about the ascenders and the legacies they keep starts to unravel… until he’s running for his life and wondering who he truly is.
Giveaway ends 9/6/15
STICKY NOTE DOODLES
Agents AtoZ Author support Awards blog tours blogfest blogging Book Spotlight Bullying Causes character development Character Interviews conferences contests Covers CPs Craft/Technique crusaders Dear New Mom Dialog editing Featherbrained Friday first chapter flash fiction fun Games Giveaways Graffiti Promotions Graffiti Wall: Author Graffiti Wall: On the Horizon Writer Graffiti Wall: Publishers guest posts High School holidays humor I Imagine Exercises Indie Inspiration Junior High Just Me light bulb moment Literary Terms loglines marketing MG Monday Munchies Motherhood motivation movie review Mrs. Maine America 2012 Music My Books NaNoWriMo networking New Adult novella Oasis for YA outlining Pace and Flow PBs PiBoIdMo pitches poems poetry Publisher Spotlight Publishing Q and A with a YA Queries Quotes Read Aloud Day reader ROW80 self-promotion Shoutouts social media sports Structure Upper YA vignette Vlog WIP word usage writer mom series WRITER'S PLEDGE Writing Life writing tips WS4U YA YAlitchat YATT