Friday, November 4, 2011

The Writer's Head Goes Snap, Crackle, Pop!

image credit
Silly title, I know. But isn't it accurate?

An idea Pops into a writer's head. He/she Snaps to it, scribbling down the idea in the best writer shorthand. Then the fun really begins. The idea Crackles as the writer stews on it, begins to taste it, feel it.

For me, that sums up the month of November, where writing goals are being set and pursued all over the world. Of course, we all know the most famous goal-setting arena among writers - NaNoWriMo. But there are other legitimate NaNo-based battlegrounds created to support, encourage, and drive all kinds of writers to write more. I've opted out of NaNoWriMo, this year, and wish all of you who are participating the best of luck!! Are you?

Instead, I've decided to be a part of two other writing drives, PiBoIdMo and NaNoWriWs4u.
PiBoIdMo is for picture book authors. It's all about letting yourself go and giving into your creative edge. We must come up with one new picture book idea each day. We don't have to develop the idea, although that would be total icing on the cupcake! I'm ahead of myself this year. I've come up with seven ideas and have mapped out two skeletal outlines.

NaNoWriWs4u follows the original NaNo plan closely, except each writer sets his/her personal goals as they see fit. We all have something we've been meaning to write or finish or edit, but life just keeps getting in the way. Or maybe we simply lost our momentum. This arena is to set those goals and report our progress at the end of each day. Accountability yet gently.


Here are my goals:

  • formulate a new picture book idea each day and finish drafting two ideas.
  • write at least half of the YA dystopian paranormal novel I've been mapping out forever.
  • possibly tweak the beginning of MB and the query, yet again.

Feel free to join the group even if you're signed up for NaNoWriMo. Everyone can use a little more support and encouragement.

I won't be around to blog much today, but I will catch up with you this weekend. Heading out of state in search of an evening gown for the pageant. Speaking of which, I've been a horrible pageant guide. I haven't given you any peeks into my journey yet. To be honest, it's been really stressful, but I'm finally finding my center again. I'll share all that with you next Tuesday as well as some writing news and progress. :)

One of my queries is over on the QQQE, today. I'd be great if you could take a gander over and give me your insight into my query letter. I have already used this letter and it has gained me five requests, but I've heard nothing from the other seven that I sent out. So I'd like to tweak it a bit.

Thanks for all your help, and have a fantastic weekend!


12 comments:

  1. I think it's fascinating that you're doing the pageant thing! I'd love to hear more about it. Good luck finding a gown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got great goals this month. Awesome! And I really enjoyed reading your query. I'll try to pop over there today to see what Matt says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Pop, Snap, and Crackle! I had an idea POP into my head this week, and I was so SNAPPED to attention over it yesterday, I could hardly concentrate on teaching.

    I've been watching for the QQQE post this morning, but it's not up yet and I can't stall over my coffee much longer. I'll have to look for it after work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing NaNoPla this month. That's a fancy way of saying I'm still planning my next project. :D

    Off to check out you query.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm think of forming the group NaNoWriNOT! for those of us who don't do anything special during November (except eat lots of turkey and pumpkin pie). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Checked out your query at Matt's- Marked Beauty sounds like such a great and unique story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the analogy you gave. That post title is quite fitting. And thanks for the heads up about the others. I was aware of the picture book version but not that support one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the gown search. And, I look forward to those updates.
    I'm participating in PiBoIdMo and also working on my future writing goals - trying to find places to submit, etc. to keep me goal focused. I didn't realize there was a support group. Happy writing and searching ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck with your goals! I'm not doing NaNo this year since I'm editing, but I'm using the momentum and excitement to help me get my editing done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never participated in nano. I won't this year. Maybe next?? Congrats on the requests. That's a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't sign up for NaNo. But on November 3rd, I decided to follow the NaNo rules and start without officially staring up...so I'm doing it , but not officially.
    I didn't prepare or outline at all. Now about 10,000 K in, its like I'm completely wanting to change the POV and change the premise , etc. Not sure if I ought to go back and edit...or jsut keep writing and writing till the end of the month. If I don't edit, its going to be one heck of a jumbled mess come January...but I'm also too lazy to think about it too much and re-edit. Hard to know!

    ReplyDelete

!SPLAT Your Awesomeness! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MY STATS