Wednesday, January 23, 2013

New Meme: Wistful YA Wednesdays!!

Those of you who blog with me on a regular basis know I normally post on Mondays (MG, PB, or craft topics), Tuesdays for my YA meme, and Fridays all featherbrained with any wacky idea I can come up with. However, this is about to change.

My husband recently resigned from his job of over thirteen years running two car dealerships, and has decided to branch out on his own - kind of like our Indie brothers and sisters. :) He's partnering up with a colleague and opening two locations. AND he'll need help setting up processes to run the show. Tah-Dah! Enters MOI. I'll have to help out in the office and such, at least for a while.

I've decided to continue posting on Mondays, but will move my YA meme to Wednesdays - If any of you already join me on Tuesdays, feel free to copy/paste the new meme above; if you're new, join in too. Just let me know with your URL in the comments below and I'll add you to the list, linking you to each of my Wednesday posts. I will also limit my Featherbrained Friday posts to sometimes, just for a while. I need to carve out some writing time. Thank you for being so understanding! Hearts to you all!

Onward to our first official Wistful YA Wednesday post, a sharing of a book I read this past summer. Enjoy!!

Title: ON FIRE: A Teen Wolf Novel
Author: Nancy Holder
Genre: Paranormal
Publisher: MTV Books
Released: July 17th, 2012
Pages: 256

I'd like to thank Nancy Holder for offering up the ARC for review.

Favorite Line/Passage: Smirking, she thought of Derek's naked torso, how well he filled out his jeans. His piercing eyes, those eyebrows she used to trace so fondly; and that five o'clock shadow and sexy bad-boy pout. She highly doubted that Chris knew she and two of his guys had paid Derek a little visit yesterday. God, all those muscles. The last time she'd seen him, he'd still been in high school. Still a kid. A stupid, gullible kid, who should have died in the Hale house fire along with the rest of his family.

Description: Based on the hit MTV series Teen Wolf—a teenage boy’s life changes forever after he’s bitten by a werewolf.Scott was just a regular guy until one bite changed his life. Now he struggles to understand who he is and what he might become. Is he more wolf than human—or is it the other way around? Whichever it is, it’s not going to be easy. Scott tries to control his urges, but mostly he’s scared that it’s his urges that could end up controlling him.     

On Fire is the story of what happens when you to walk the line between what you want and what you can’t help from wanting. Will the bite end up being a gift? Or will it be a curse? And what will it all mean for Scott’s relationship with Allison—the girl he can’t get enough of? Only time will tell if he should embrace his newfound powers, or if he should fear them.


NIGHTSTAND WORTHY

My Splats: I will not deny that this was a very tough review to write. Why? Because I watch the show, already know the story. And because of this it was difficult to read and feel that surge of adrenalin from the element of shock and surprise. So I've chosen to write my observations, especially for those who do not watch the television show, solely on the writing and delivery of the story. 

There's no need for me to remark on Nancy Holder's amazing abilities as an author; that goes without saying. What I enjoyed about the telling of ON FIRE was the simplicity of it all. It was definitely an easy and quick read with relatively recognizable vocabulary. The dialog between characters adequately showed differences in characteristics and personalities, all which were teenage appropriate and easy to relate to. 

I appreciated the humor interjected throughout, especially how Holder handled the interaction between quirky Stiles and beefy Derek. The one thing that did differentiate the book from the show itself was the development of Derek's surprising teenage past with Kate - the female lead's aunt. It was what really kept me reading. I liked that angle a lot and I think you'll find it interesting too. 

Holder takes the mystery of a disappearing teen mingled with the sexy appeal of the werewolf legend and creates a suspenseful novel any teen will love. 

If you haven't joined the writer's creed for 2013, you still can! Almost 80 of you already have. Thanks so much!!

24 comments:

  1. Congrats on your husband's new venture. Good luck juggling it all. And thanks for the review. I hadn't heard of this one. (Where was I?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you have a lot going on! Congrats to all new changes and adventures heading your way. I have never heard of this book or watched the show so I may need to add this to my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well-wishes and for stopping by, Dani!!

      Delete
  3. I adore Nancy Holder! Thanks so much for sharing this, Sheri. (Also, love that you incorporated Sheriisms in the new site design :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I wish you and your husband all the best! That's very exciting and a little scary! Great review, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to you guys with your husband's new adventure. Kudos to you for making sure the writing stays a priority. So many authors would relegate it back to hobby in a similar situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck to your husband and his new business!

    The book sounds awesome! Love the cover! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thanks so much! It should be an adventure. :)

      Delete
  7. Wishing your husband much success! That's a big step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alex! He's wanted to do it for a long time, and he has a ton of experience. He opened two dealerships for someone else and has made them very successful over the past 5 years. Why make someone else so successful and not put that same energy into himself and our family's future?

      (Haha...I sound like I'm all for it, but it took him a few months to convince me.)

      Delete
  8. Congrats to your hubby, Sheri. And now I can read your YA meme posts since they fall on a blogging day. I usually don't check out blogs on non blogging days, unless I'm commenting back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either. I used to, but it just became too time consuming.

      Delete
  9. Wishing the hubs and you tons of success!

    I only watched the first episode of Teen Wolf. It was okay, but I couldn't really get into it. Maybe I'll check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yeah, it's not setting the world on fire. Like with most teenish shows, it's all about the looks. lol

      Delete
  10. Best of luck with the new business venture. :)

    This book looks good-love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing your husband and co the best in branching out on their own :-)

    And I will have to give this book a looksee. I haven't really been able to watch the show so I may be able to read this book without certain preset knowledge, well, other than the "knowing it's a teen who got bit by a wolf" part :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to your hubs and you, how exciting! And I love the cover of this book, definitely makes me want to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd like to be added. http://chandarawrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck to your husband and his new adventure! Book looks interesting- love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a super hot cover. :) Good luck to you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hot cover! Based on Teen Wolf, interesting. Thanks for the review. I love hearing about new authors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck to you and your hubby on your new adventure - how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. uh, YUM! That is one hot cover--LOL! And yanno, I might have to check this one out. Now I know it's NOT like that terrible movie that came out in the 80s... *stinker* :D

    Thanks, Sheri! Best of luck to Nancy AND to your hubs starting his new venture! How exciting! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete

!SPLAT Your Awesomeness! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MY STATS