Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Change Of Plans ~ Meet Character Jimmy & A Review

A cruise, hope of a fairy tale, and death. Not exactly a formidable mixture. 

Note: The content I normally feature here is of YA, MG, PB & the new NA nature; however, as a writer, I need to veer into new territory to challenge and strengthen my skills. Thus, I've taken the liberty to stretch my literary arena and spotlight a wonderful Adult book, where the protagonist is barely 25 years old. 


Title: A Change of Plans
Author: Donna K. Weaver
Genre: Contemporary | Romance
Publisher: Rhemalda Publishing
Release date: June 1, 2013
Pages: 327

I'd like to thank the publisher for providing me with an ecopy in exchange for an unbiased review. 


Favorite Lines/Passage: I rolled away from Braedon, trying to cover my mouth so my crying wouldn't wake him. Then he was next to me, his body molding around mine, and his arm around my waist. I felt his body behind me shudder with a sob he tried to swallow. I moved to turn over, but his arm held me in place. "No," he whispered, his voice ragged. "Just let me hold you." (page 115)


Description: When twenty-five-year-old Lyn sets off on her cruise vacation, all she wants is to forget that her dead fiancé was a cheating scumbag. What she plans is a diversion uncomplicated by romance. What she gets is Braedon, an intriguing young surgeon. He's everything her fiancé wasn't, and against the backdrop of the ship's make-believe world, her emotions come alive.


Unaware of the sensitive waters he navigates, Braedon moves to take their relationship beyond friendship—on the very anniversary Lyn came on the cruise to forget. Lyn's painful memories are too powerful, and she runs off in a panic. But it's hard to get away from someone when you're stuck on the same ship. Things are bad enough when the pair finds themselves on one of the cruise's snorkeling excursions. Then paradise turns to piracy when their party is kidnapped, and Lyn's fear of a fairy tale turns grim.



NIGHTSTAND WORTHY +1

MY SPLATS: "Wind-swept tale of past pains and longing forced to change by unforseen dangers. The main characters, Lyn & Braedon, add heart and soul with their moving glances and silent embraces."

From the moment these two meet, it's obvious attraction has struck them both. Braedon is curious and treads lightly. Lyn constantly tries to talk herself out of her budding preoccupation with Braedon. Weaver does a wonderful job laying down a solid foundation from the start, keeping their dialog real and appropriate. Although I was unaware, I was, not only along for a cruise ride, but also romance step by step.


Story breaths with a strong cast of secondary characters, adding to the scenery of vacationing on a cruise ship. Friendships add a great external view of Lyn and Braedon's interactions; sometimes humorous, other times more serious. The more Lyn denies her new feelings, the more I wanted her to give in and just let go. Eventually she does, but not on her own accord. Unexpected danger suddenly cuts off most of her emotional options, pushing her to slowly face the pain she's buried deep within her heart. Having to fight for her life and freedom from thieves, only makes that harder. But she, Braedon, and another female friend and her boyfriend end up escaping.  


Gut-wrenching decisions bring the three together in the middle of the ocean, dropping a loved-one into the water because he'd died from injuries suffered during their escape and then losing the other friend. This is when I knew this was not your ordinary cruise-pirates-shipwrecked story. Action at sea, fear, and terror drew me deeper into the story, investing me more intimately with each character. 


Once stranded on a deserted island with Braedon--Alone--Lyn finds it impossible to fight her feelings for Braedon or hide from the betrayal of her previous relationship. I love how Braedon helps Lyn break free of her self-induced social isolation in a place so isolated. One element most readers might not notice but I did was how often Lyn and Braedon refer to lessons taught to them by their parents, lessons which help them survive on the island. 


This story goes so much deeper: them being found, being separated again, family members becoming part of the story, and Lyn standing up for herself. Lyn's dialog and actions in this scene was brilliant and moving. Yes, I did. I ended up shedding sweat tears. And so will you. Oh, and there's a few more surprises, but I won't spoil it for you.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts. Now, can everyone give a warm 'hello' to Jimmy, one of the characters in ACoP? *cheers* I was able to pull him off the dance floor to answer a few questions for us.

Hello Jimmy! It's great to have you here. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

Well, I'm a Texan through and through. Except that I really wish I could have my own Power Metal band. I'm the oldest of a large family and just graduated from college. Now I have to go and help run the family ranch. I guess I'll have to just dream about being on stage.

What's your world look like to you?

There's lots I'd like to do someday besides study ranch management and now do ranch management and teach my younger brothers and sisters ranch management. Did I mention I don't like ranch management?

I think that vibe is coming on loud and clear.  What would you say has been your biggest challenge?

Having my family pay for me to go to college so I can modernize the ranch. But I hate it. I wouldn't mind owning a ranch that someone else ran. 

My parents just don't understand how important my music is to me, so I don't talk to them about it. Don't get me wrong. I love my parents. They're great people. They just have kind of a narrow view of some things.


So, what's your favorite type of music?

Power Metal--Flag in the Ground by Sonata Arctica.

I can already gather your answer, but I'll ask you anyway. If you could have any job what would it be?

Lead guitarist and vocalist in my own Power Metal Band. Hah! Redundant, I know. 

If you were honest, what's your biggest quirk? 

Liking music almost no one in my family can stand. I'm not sure if I got to liking it so much so it would irritate my younger brothers or if something in it just sang to me. No pun intended. *winks*

One last question, do you have a secret crush you'd be willing to share?

Well, not many people outside of school know about me and Maria. Ma's got her mind made up that I'm gonna marry her high school friend's daughter. That's just sick. It'd be like marrying one of my sister. I'm gonna break it to Ma when I get back from the cruise.

I have to tell you, Jimmy, you were an amazing addition to this cast of characters. You made me laugh...often. Thanks for agreeing to stop by!!! 


Alleywalkersave you ever been on a cruise? Ever worry about sea pirates???


17 comments:

  1. This was a fabulous review! I had Donna for an interview and she's the nicest person :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. She's really nice! The book was just fabulous!

      Delete
  2. I read about this one on another blog, and it sounds awesome. That TBR list is getting ridiculously long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad the excerpt helped relay how awesome the story is. When I chose an excerpt, I always try and capture the feel of the story and character of the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for having Jimmy over for a visit. Love that kid! And thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. LOL. He's a really cool character. Does it spoil it for you if I tell you....well...I can't tell!!

      Delete
  6. Wow! Great to read an adult book review here. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Power-metal, man!~ Rock on, brother Jim!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, huh! Jimmy is definitely one of a kind!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a fun story. I just can't get over that this is now the 3rd book I've seen with that same stock art. It throws me off, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good read. Congrats to Donna! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You made this sound so exciting! I love the idea of pirates and danger. Huge congrats to Donna for the release of her awesome new book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, the book was nothing like I'd expected. When I read 'pirates' I thought 'huh', but just wait. LOL

      Delete
  11. Rock on, Jimmy! :)

    Sounds like a good one. I like reviews of all genres of books!! I read everything from PB to adult and everything in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know, Kelly! When I have movement on one of my PBs I'll definitely keep you in mind!!

      Yeah, Jimmy is a very cool character. Thanks for stopping by and supporting Donna!

      Delete

!SPLAT Your Awesomeness! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MY STATS