Wednesday, December 6, 2017

IWSG~Year in Reflection

We all know the holiday season is a time of reflection. A time to be grateful for our successes, ponder our failures, and pledge to do better. It's also a time to celebrate all that life is. Because, despite what the evening news will tell you, there really is good in the world.

I consider The Insecure Writer's Support Group one of those goods. It's a cyber space where writers of all walks and talks come together to celebrate a love of literature and each other. I've decided to answer this month's optional question:

As you look back on 2017, with all its successes and failures, if you could backtrack, what would you do differently?

Backtracking - for me, at least - implies regret, and I try to live my life without the possibility of regret.

How do I do that? I see successes and failures with no beginnings or endings. They are a constant evolution of me. Failures are a time of learning. Successes are a time to be grateful that the opportunity presented itself to me in the first place and that I persevered enough to achieve a goal.

"A mistake is not a mistake if a lesson is learned." 

A lesson I've learned over this past year is one I've always struggled with - giving myself permission to be proud of a goal reached. In this case (for this year) it would be that I had a second novel published. And another lesson I still battle with - accepting the fact that because of health reasons I've had to slow down - a ton. That's why you don't see me blogging as much or almost at all.

For more or to participate
I don't talk about it much, and I sure as heck will not bore you with it now. Point being - I'm still evolving, learning self-acceptance and patience with myself. Funny how the theme of self-acceptance flows through both my novels. :)

Thank you goes out to this month's co-hosts: Julie Flanders, Shannon Lawrence, Fundy Blue, and Heather Gardner!

A FEW REMINDERS

My MARKED BEAUTY Release Party Kindle & More Giveaway ends in six days. There's still time to enter and share! I'll be announcing the winners across social media sites on December 15th. 
ENTER GIVEAWAY
The It's Snowing Books $100 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway will be open until December 27th! There's still time for you to enter this one, too.




Good luck, everyone! This is possibly my last post of the year. Not sure, but just in case I want to thank you all for always being supportive, for being the voice of reason, and for being inspiring. I hope that in some small way I've encouraged you, too.

Have a wonderful holiday season. And to those to whom it applies: Have a very Merry Christmas!


21 comments:

  1. That's a great way to look at mistakes and life. And you accomplished a lot this year. I know you don't talk about your health challenges much, but I know how they can affect your life from living with my husband who was chronically ill his whole life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words, Natalie. It's so hard to admit that I have limitations now. To be honest, I think the worse part is feeling like people will feel less of me. I know we're not supposed to care what others think, but that's hard; at least for me, it is.

      Delete
  2. "A mistake is not a mistake if a lesson is learned." Yes. This! We have to take risks and life is a huge learning experience. Have a lovely holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A constant evolution - I like that.
    There is good in the world! (Thanks for thinking the IWSG is part of that.) The news is all about scaring us and being negative, but there's still a ton of good out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit it exactly! My husband is convinced the news is there to distract us. We hardly pay attention to it anymore.

      Have a wonderful new year!

      Delete
  4. A beautiful way to look at successes and failures! I feel you on slowing down for health reasons. It can be hard to focus on writing when other parts of life are not cooperating. Here's to a more successful 2018! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living your life without regret is the best way to live. I have some regrets that were out of my control, so I am learning to live this way...slowly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it can be taxing in itself. But really, without mistakes (& the acceptance of them) we'll simply be spinning our wheels. I want to move forward. :)

      Delete
  6. If we didn't have failures, we'd never learn anything, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about the health issues. I have a couple I have to deal with as well. We can only do the best we can given the circumstances, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Sorry to hear about your health issues, too. Stinks, but we must move on. It looks like my Sjorgrens is developing into systematic Lupus. I don't talk about it much because that gives it power. I'd rather try to do my best everyday - some days that's not much - and keep going.

      Delete
  8. "A mistake is not a mistake if a lesson is learned." That is a great saying!!! A good one for myself and to teach to my children and my grandchildren.

    I'm also going through health issues and its slowing me way, way down. (I don't like it) And I like what you wrote about learning self-acceptance and patience! Stay positive!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a lesson I've said to all of my kids. Takes the shame away from a failure and empowers the person to keep going. Yes, stay positive!

      Delete
  9. Acceptance is the biggest and best gift you can give anyone--including yourself. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! Celebrate what you've accomplished!
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that statement about lesson learned. Yep. I admire your attitude. We should all take lessons from you and celebrate each goal reached. Congrats on your second book. Keep writing at your own pace. Best wishes for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything forms us to what we are—love your attitude! I'm so excited to dive into your book...I"m thinking this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Self-acceptance is something I need to work on. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a beautiful woman, inside and out. Accepting our failures, cherishing our accomplishments, and finding the good in life, the way you do, is wonderful. You are an inspiration. Have a healthy and happy holiday. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sheri - sounds like you have the right attitude - and just accepting who we are, and what we do ... we achieve so much ... but take care and well done and am glad you have that healthy outlook - enjoy this seasonal time ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

!SPLAT Your Awesomeness! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MY STATS