Wednesday, November 4, 2020

IWSG ~ Why I Write

We've come to yet another IWSG posting day. I'd like to thank this month's co-hosts -  Jemi Fraser, Kim Lajevardi, L.G Keltner, Tyrean Martinson, and Rachna Chhabria - for all their efforts!

I've decided to answer this month's optional question.


Albert Camus once said, “The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.” Flannery O’Conner said, “I write to discover what I know.” Authors across time and distance have had many reasons to write. 
 
Why do you write what you write? 
 
As I was searching my heart for this answer, I realized that I have numerous reasons for writing. Some reasons have been with me from the beginning, while others have evolved, changed, and grown as I've moved forward as a published author.
 
When I first began writing, I did it as a teeny vacation from my main life job as a stay-at-home mother, raising my four children. I eventually grew a true love for writing that forged me into thinking I could/would/should, just might be able to learn this craft for a greater purpose. Then I completed my first short story, and it got published. And then my first novel, which also got published. Through all of this, I also experienced and grew to need the amazing folks in our writing community.
 
Participants
So in short, I write for the friendships and support I receive and give, for the need to push myself beyond my comfort zone and challenge my physical, mental, and spiritual growth, and for the blessing (and the honor) of being in a position to help, comfort, and influence others by the stories I tell.

 
What about you? Do you write? Why do you do it?  

7 comments:

  1. And friendship and support is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reasons. For now, I mostly write because I enjoy it, though I am seeing some other reasons too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reasons! Having the support of the writing community is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheri - those sound excellent reasons ... me too. It's just lovely to write and get comments with some feedback. This (our) blogging world is great, I love it - take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started writing at the prompting of my daughter. She liked my stories and thought they should be published. I guess it's another creative outlet. Although admittedly, after doing this for 17 years, I'm getting a little burnt out. I may take a break, especially since I have so many other things on my plate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this!! I've gained so much of this through this writing journey! :)

    ReplyDelete

!SPLAT Your Awesomeness! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MY STATS