Wednesday, July 7, 2021

IWSG ~ I Quit!

Happy Wednesday, and welcome to another edition of IWSG!

What's IWSG, you ask? It's a group of writers who lend support, encouragement, and guidance to each other. Once a month, we share our insecurities about writing, marketing, and the publishing industry. On occasion, we also share insecurities or struggles from our daily lives. Want to take part? Click on the image at the end of my post. We'd love to have you join us!
 

This month's question:  

 What would make you quit writing?


Hmm . . . 
 
Honestly, despite the fact that I haven't written a whole heck of a lot since Covid began, I don't think I'll ever fully toss in the towel where writing is concerned. Writing grounds me. It's a way for me to sort through emotions and life's happenings - call it my personal therapy.

Saying that, this is a good opportunity to come clean about the reality of my writing. When my middle grade publisher closed back in April of 2019, saying I was bummed is putting it lightly. But, I picked myself up and forged ahead. Thankfully, my MG book and the sequel were picked up by another publisher. And then Covid hit. Most of us experienced a lot of similar emotions and issues during that time; it's all kind of self-explanatory. For me, it was also a time of self-(re)evaluation. The three major deaths my family experienced in 2019 just prior to Covid, my MG pub closing, my mom's failing health (MS & dementia), and the stresses of owning our own business began to line up like lights on a runway. I found myself asking "Why am I writing? No, really? Is there a greater purpose for my stories and for what I have to say?"

This question led me back down the spiritual road that God had set me on years ago. I've always loved my faith as a Catholic, but this whole Covid ordeal made me look deeper, made me seriously search for God, for purposes, for lessons I needed to learn to become who He wanted me to be as opposed to the 'who' I thought I should be. I'm not here to talk about faith, but to express the need to find and reinvent my purpose for keeping pen to paper and fingers to the keys instead of quitting. (I mean, I do still have another MG book coming out late this year and a short story in an anthology, and I am working on a new middle grade novel. So no, I'm not quitting. LOL) It's my focus and kind of stories I feel I should be writing that's changed.

Writers, throughout your writing journey have you discovered the need to reinvent your purpose(s) for writing?
 
MORE PARTICIPANTS 
Thank you to all our co-hosts for this month! Pat Garcia, Victoria Marie Lees, and Louise – Fundy Blue! Click on this image to find other participating writers or to join our group!

16 comments:

  1. You did the best thing possible - ask God to reveal and line up your purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often wondered why I write the things I do, so maybe finding my purpose would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think each time I go through something difficult personally I do some kind of soul searching. I also turn to God when I'm stuck, and it's amazing how that prayer is answered. Thanks for being authentic about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are all you can be. That's more than some of us. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to reevaluate why we write sometimes, especially when we have so many other things that keep us busy. I struggle with knowing why I should write and whether it's worth it too sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot hit you at once. That's definitely the time to reevaluate. Last year made me do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you went deeper - writing is an outlet, a challenge, and persevering is a good example and brings inner peace, nicely done!

    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you've been through so much. Those kind of trials often make us reevaluate what we should really be doing. Your writing definitely isn't trivial - it's spreading joy when we all need more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life can flood over (it definitely did for you!) and it's necessary to step back. For me, that also includes re-orientating and remembering what life is truly centered on. It's a phase I'm going through right now...although everything takes a little longer with me, it seems. Glad to see you've found your way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Covid hit so many of us with a one-two punch. It's a wonder any of us managed much in the way of creativity. Fingers crossed we won't have any surges in the number of cases.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear of your difficulties and sadness, SA. And I am truly proud how you have moved on with your life and writing career since. Bravo on obtaining another publisher for your MG story. Keep moving forward, bit by bit. You can do this. All best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could no more quit writing than I could quit breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Writing gives my life purpose. Without it, I'm lost.

    Sorry to hear of all you are going through. The fact you can put your pain into words is a way to heal that pain and to grow.

    May your words continue to lift you up.

    Q

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might stop for a season bit never just quit forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been writing stories since I was old enough to hold a pencil. It's just part of who I am, so I could never quit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As I read this post, I started praying for you.
    I'm glad you have found new purpose.
    And yes, I have reinvented mine a few times, and I'm not sure I have my current reason worded exactly write. I write to inspire and encourage young people between 11-18, with a secondary audience of adults. I write to show women (of faith or in secular places) can overcome tough situations. Hmm. That's not exactly what I wrote at my blog, but here's another thing I forgot to mention there. I write to give refuge to those in need of escape from their daily lives.
    I pray you will find your reason and press into it.

    ReplyDelete

!SPLAT Your Awesomeness! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MY STATS