Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Here we are at another IWSG discussion to start our month. Can you believe it's September??? Crazy, huh? And our fourth and last child entering his senior year in high school, this is a big year for our family.

On that note, wishing all teachers, librarians, parents, and educators alike a wonderful 2021-22 school year!

So this month's optional question is as follows: 

How do you define success as a writer? Is it holding your book in your hand? Having a short story published? Making a certain amount of income from your writing?

Good question. Hmm . . . I'd have to say that over my writing journey this answer has changed. Initially, it was submitting my work, receiving an acceptance, and then seeing my words and thoughts (and my byline) in print. Short story, community-based article, or a recipe in a collection, it really didn't matter. From there I'd have to say it was going through the entire process of receiving offers on my manuscripts, working with editors, creating all the marketing/promo goods, and then receiving my publisher copies in a big box from my favorite UPS or FED-EX peeps! Having an authentic book release party at a library helped that feeling of "I've finally made it as an author!" helped a bit, too. 😁
 
But now, after lots of articles, short stories, and a few novels under my belt, my opinion has changed. The finished project is not where the definition of a successful writer comes. It is in the journey taken, the processes adhered to, and the faith to keep forging ahead. It is also in the wisdom to stop and examine if we're on the right path; if we find we are not, it's in the humility to turn around. C.S. Lewis says it best here:
"I do not sit down at my desk to put into verse something that is already clear in my mind. If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand."
So I currently define being a successful writer as one who stays the course, seeking knowledge and wisdom and the human condition, in humble ambition to share and explore that through the world of fiction.

MORE PARTICIPANTS 
Thank you so much to our amazing co-hosts this month!
Rebecca Douglass, T. Powell Coltrin @Journaling Woman, Natalie Aguirre, Karen Lynn, and C. Lee McKenzie! Click on this image to find other participating writers or to join our group!
 
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Great post!! I'm at that point where I'm wondering if I need to turn around and find another path. But I suppose carrying on is its own kind of success. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie,

    So very true! Carrying on is it's own kind of success. All the best to you on discerning your writing path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your current definition of success. It's mine too. The journey is what is important to me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Success is as fluid as we are. Congrats on all of it. :-)


    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your son enjoys his last year of high school! I'm right behind you, with my youngest in 11th.
    I love what you said here. The C.S. Lewis quote is so fitting. I know I always understand myself a bit better after I finish a project. And that is one of the greatest gifts of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheri - great definition ... and just being in the mix amongst positive fellow writers, who help, support and are there when necessary. I'm always happy with a comment - a civilised one! ... Cheers and all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when I hear from readers who's been touch in some way by something I've written.

    ReplyDelete

!SPLAT Your Awesomeness! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MY STATS