Wednesday, April 1, 2020

IWSG ~ Focus On The Brilliance

Fear. Isolation. Loneliness. 

That's mostly what I've been hearing or reading since #socialdistancing and #selfconfinement began a few weeks ago. I get it. It's hard. It totally stinks. There is plenty to fear, plenty to feel isolated over, and plenty to box each one of us into the confinement of loneliness. Well, I mean we writers kind of exist in a self-confined world for the most part, but you get what I mean.

Here's a different way to look at all this. Someone I consider one of my life mentors once said to me, "It's all about priorities."

Photo Credit
If we focus on the worry, the unknown, and the pictures in our heads of what might be, we will spend the rest of our days for however long this goes on sad and depressed. We need to find the good within the devastation. 

Do not take my words for meaning that this virus isn't a big deal. It definitely is. I'm beyond saddened by the lives that have been lost, for the jobs that have and will be no more, for the lack of security we all feel right now. But I'm thankful for the precautions that are being taken, for the people that are working ungodly hours to beat this thing, and for the kindness within neighborhoods that we've all been seeing. 

Seriously, the writing community totally RAWKS! So many have offered free material and readings to parents who are now in the position they must home-school their kids. Everyone has been amazing.

OTHER PARTICIPANTS

This month's IWSG optional question to answer: How are things in your world?

As for me, my children are older - two work with my husband at our family business and the younger two still live at home (a junior in college and a sophomore in high school), so we're pretty much the only people we all see. A few for the business, but we are super careful. The real downer is my mom in the nursing home. We haven't physically seen her for three weeks now and it looks like it's going to be a long haul before they'll let any visitors in again. It's very hard on the residents, especially those who are confused by all this - like my mom. She's doing okay. We've been able to FaceTime with her a few times, so that's helped. I worry about my dad, being home alone and worrying about her. But it is what it is, so we'll deal.

Wishing you all the best of continued health! Be careful, take care of yourself and those you are self-confined with, and stay positive. I'll see you on the other side of this thing. 💜


19 comments:

  1. I'm glad your family is able to limit contact. Just keep FaceTiming with your mom. Is your dad able to do the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. One of the CNAs will message me on FB to give me times that would work for her. I then have my dad come over so he can chat with her, too. He pretty much is staying home as am I, so his exposure is very low. It makes me nervous, but he doesn't know how to FT on his own. Trust me, we've tried to teach him. He's still sharp as they come and in great physical shape, but his smart phone trips him up. LOL 
      I hope you're doing well, too

      Delete
  2. Glad you're all healthy. I've been dealing with similar issues with my mom. She doesn't have a smart phone or computer but the independent living facility set up a zoom meeting for us yesterday and will set it up for Sunday when I'm talking to a bunch of my cousins on Zoom. I know that will make it a little easier for her and me.










    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great to hear that you're able to Zoom with her. It definitely helps when you can see them physically.
      Take care.

      Delete
  3. Facetime and Zoom have been really helpful during this time of separation from people. My daughters are both in their respective college towns - partly because the virus hasn't hit those places yet and we wanted them to stay safe. They are doing online school, only seeing one to three people they know in person (roommates, best friend with similar situation), and talking to us every day. My parents live next door to me, but they are staying apart because of a case at my husband's office 12 days ago. We are waiting to see if we are clear, and even then, we will probably keep social distancing - talking outside from six feet apart. But I do feel most for those alone and for those who don't understand what's going on.
    I'm looking forward to the other side of all of this.
    And yes, let's be Camp NaNoWriMo buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If this all had to happen, thank GOODNESS it's happening during the age of internet. Can't imagine life right now without it to keep us in touch with those we love and those who keep us going. Thanks for the positivity in this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The writer's community is awesome. Lucky to be a part of it. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Face Time is really helping mom (and us!) with this lockdown. When they closed up 3 weeks ago, they suspected it would be for 2 months. I think it will be at least that long.
    Must be tough on your dad too - thinking of you all and sending you all the hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finding the good is what we need to do right now. That's why I started the #100HappyDays challenge. It's a challenge I did many years ago. Find something every day that makes you happy, take a picture to represent it, and share it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an encouraging post! Yes, it's important to focus on the positive. I have enjoyed the slower pace of life right now and connecting with people I haven't heard from in a while. It's helped me a lot to keep my focus on others--trying to help my teens not to worry and keeping things consistent for my students.
    It's gotta be so hard not to be able to see your parents. Eventually this will be behind us. Take care, Shari!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Facetime is fabulous! We will get through this. Hoping by the next IWSG post, this virus will be totally weakened. Take care. Stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you can FaceTime. I hope that helps calm her.

    Worry only steals time from us, our today and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it has.
      Stay safe and take care!

      Delete
  11. A beautiful post. Everything you said is encouraging. That's what we need now. Encouragement. And look for the brightness ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful post. The internet does make this type of thing so much easier, and it's a blessing that it's possible. Stay safe and positive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you all are healthy. We are in my house too. The internet does make things easier to bare. Belated IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not seeing your mom has to be hard on you and her. I hope she understands why you aren't coming. Do the best you can. FaceTime is helping us deal with not seeing our g'kids. Not the same as in person, 2nd best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everybody's world has been turned upside down by this virus. I feel so bad for the people who have lost their jobs or loved ones because of it. I hope this doesn't last much longer, and I hope things get back on track quickly.

    Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete

!SPLAT Your Awesomeness! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MY STATS