Wednesday, August 5, 2020

IWSG~Letting Go To Your Story's Voice

Coming to you from northern New England where the Atlantic is still chilly, the lobstah' is as tasty as ev'ah, and the lighthouses shine on. My family is currently on a much needed vacation at a camp on a lake in Maine we rented for two weeks. 

In Maine language that's Up'tah camp.

I'll share photos in my next post, but for now I'll move on to this month's IWSG optional question.
Quote: "Although I have written a short story collection, the form found me and not the other way around. Don't write short stories, novels or poems. Just write your truth and your stories will mold into the shapes they need to be."  
Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre, you hadn't planned on writing in? Or do you choose a form/genre in advance?
The second half of this quote spoke to me; that's why I highlighted it. I hadn't thought about why I write a piece as a short story, poem, or full-length novel. I know some stories are meant to be shorties, while others need a longer and more twisting road. For me, each has always inked the page the way it felt more natural. But that last part ". . . write your truth . . . your stories will mold into the shapes they need to be," rings so true with the middle grade novel I'm currently working on.

I like order. It's my nature. Plans get accomplished. Ideas/Intentions don't. But maybe it's not that simple. Maybe it's about having an idea of a plan and where you're going, but letting go to the freedom writing avails. We've all heard '. . . Let the story speak to you . . .', right? So I guess my answer to this question is yes I have. And it's teaching me more about myself, which is a good thing.

OTHER PARTICIPANTS
A big Merci! goes out to this month's amazing co-hosts Susan Baury Rouchard, Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane,Jennifer Hawes, Chemist Ken, and Chrys Fey! 

Want to know more about the Insecure Writers Support Group? Clink on the image to find out and read more participant's post, today.


24 comments:

  1. Hi Sheri - enjoy the holiday ... sounds wonderful - better than full on heat ... at least you can think and dream on about more adventure stories to write ... write on, as they say - stay safe too - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement! Last week was a beautiful week on the lake. This week, too, except for yesterday when the remnants of the hurricane blew by us. But today is gorgeous, again. I'm very thankful.
      Take care and stay safe, too!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your vacation in Maine.

    I like order but tend to live in chaos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose one could make order within the chaos. LOL No, I get it. I think that's how I survived raising four kids. I look back and have no idea how I survived them.

      Delete
  3. Yes, we have to write our truths. And I like order too. Unfortunately, I've had to learn to live with a lot of major changes all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have. And you've done an amazing job. Sometimes I wonder why this happened and then that, but I'm learning that seeking to become a better person despite whatever has happened is a more productive way to use my energies. Doesn't mean it's easy, though. <3 

      Delete
  4. I like a plan so not sure how much I could let go. I do write true to me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it. I'm definitely more of a planner now with my writing. But I think sometimes I try to plan too much, which then forces me down the rabbit hole of neverending ideas and not actually writing. LOL

      Delete
  5. I'm a bit of a control freak, so it has been a challenge to let plot and characters unfold naturally, but quite rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on being a control freak. I think this is my problem with my current WIP. I keep fighting the nudges the story gives me as I write and that completely throws my inspiration off. I need to let go. LOL It's so hard to walk in the unseen!

      Delete
  6. "having an idea of a plan and where you're going" <--- I love that! So philosophical. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the romance genre because I know I'm aiming for that happy ending, but I'm not a natural planner, but having that ending in mind keeps me on track :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Out of every story I've ever written - or tried to write - I always have a solid idea of how I want it to end or wrap up. I think that helps pace character, story, and world growth. At least for me, anyway. 

      Delete
  8. I've always wanted to vacation in Maine. I am extremely jealous right now! I hope you enjoy the heck out of those 2 weeks!!!
    I like organization, everything in its place kind of person, but in writing things seem to go awry. I start with an idea, like you mentioned, then it twists and turns. Sometimes it's a good thing, giving me all kinds of surprises, and other times I don't know where it's going next. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I actually live in Maine, too. LOL We're renting a camp at a lake in central Maine that we usually go to, anyway. It's just nice to pull the boat up to our dock at night instead of having to take it out of the water and haul it home.

      Delete
  9. Your vacation sounds wonderful! I've been to New England, but never as far north as Maine--but hope to get up there someday. I love how your story is teaching you something about yourself. It's a great way to process your life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly don't think there is one answer. I think every story requires a different approach. At least, that's what it's like for me. Some of my stories have required meticulous planning while others insisted on writing blind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's pretty true. Some stories insist on being heard and then written one way, while another story is like, "Uh, no. Plan me out!" LOL

      Delete
  11. Yep, stories will be what they need to be and shouldn't be forced. I like to know the general plot before I start writing, but my stories warp in all directions after that. Oh, and I cant' wait to hear more about your middle grade :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to visit Maine. I hope you have a wonderful time there! A much-needed respite from the insanity of life right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you ever get up here make sure you let me know. I'd love to meet you in person. Plus, I can recommend some really cool and beautiful areas to visit. :)

      Delete
  13. Good thoughts in answer to the question. I guess it's more important to listen to the characters and what they need than what the ultimate format or product will look like. That comes later! Hope you're enjoying your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a fan of rocky beaches, like what we had in Oregon. Someone told me lately I'd love the Maine coast, too. I hope you had a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete

!SPLAT Your Awesomeness! I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MY STATS